The bridges of Portland are numerous and diverse. The structures represent a variety of construction types, including vertical lift spans, double-leaf Bascule drawspans, and the longest tied arch span in the world. The Oregon Department of Transportation maintains the Fremont, Marquam, Ross Island, and St. Johns bridges. Multnomah County maintains the Broadway, Burnside, Hawthorne, Morrison, and Sellwood bridges. Union Pacific Railroad owns the Steel Bridge.
Bridges over the Willamette River, listed north to south:
- St. Johns Bridge (1931) - U.s. Route 30/N Philadelphia Avenue
- Burlington Northern Railroad Bridge 5.1 (1908)
- Fremont Bridge (1973) - Interstate 405
- Broadway Bridge (1913) - Broadway
- Steel Bridge (1912) - Pacific Highway West/former Oregon Route 99W
- Burnside Bridge (1926) - Burnside Street
- Morrison Bridge (1958) - Morrison Street
- Hawthorne Bridge (1910) - Hawthorne Boulevard
- Marquam Bridge (1966) - Interstate 5
- Ross Island Bridge (1922) - U.S. Route 26/Powell Boulevard
- Sellwood Bridge (1925) - SE Tacoma Street
During the Summer of 1999, the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) and the Oregon Department of Transportation worked on a collaborative project to document the eleven Willamette River Bridges of Portland. Read the Documentation Study.