How to request a new street light:
(PBOT does not currently have funding for new street light installations. All requests will be added to a wait list for future assessment.)
1. Contact PBOT Street Lighting and provide the location where a new street light is requested (nearest address or cross street). This request can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 503-865-5267(LAMP). An online request can be submitted here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/40884?action=UpdateItem&category_id=596.
2. PBOT Street Lighting will perform an engineering assessment to determine if a new street light is warranted and whether an installation is feasible. An installation is warranted if:
• Spacing Standards are not met.
• Lighting Standards are not met.
3. If City of Portland street lighting standards are not met and a new street light is feasible, the area will be assessed against the Equity Analysis Matrix to see if it meets the City’s Equity goal for the following criteria:
• History of risk
4. If a new street light is warranted, feasible, and meets our equity goals then in most cases, PBOT Street Lighting will fund and complete the installation and pay the ongoing energy and maintenance costs.
If the engineering assessment concludes that a new street light is not warranted, is not feasible to install, or does not meet our equity goals, but you would still like to have additional lighting installed, you may purchase your own outdoor area lighting:
• If your power provider is PGE, you may request a PGE outdoor area light. See more information on this here: https://www.portlandgeneral.com/safety/outdoor-area-lighting.
• You may also look into purchasing and installing other building or home lighting options such as landscape lighting, flood lights, spotlights, etc.
All requests and assessments made but not installed are kept on record in the event that there are funding changes and an installation becomes feasible.
Please note that due to limited funding for new street lights, every new street light installation request is assessed on a case-by-case basis and installations of multiple street lights may not be feasible. If an entire neighborhood is in need of street lighting and the street lighting infill budget cannot cover these costs, the residents of the neighborhood may form a Local Improvement District. See more information on this here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/index.cfm?&c=35715.
If you believe that there is a crime problem in your neighborhood:
Contact the Crime Prevention Coordinator for your neighborhood and provide the location as well as information on the crimes taking place. Find the Crime Prevention Coordinator for your neighborhood here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/oni/44649, or call 503-823-4000.
The City does not install new street lights on unimproved roads or on the basis of crime related issues.
If you have any questions on this process, or street lighting in general, please feel free to contact PBOT Street Lighting at email@example.com or at 503-865-5267(LAMP).