TriMet MAX and bus ridership set new records in October 2008, prompting the transit agency to add more MAX Blue Line trains and additonal buses to 11 lines! Here are some details on the impressive ridership growth:
MAX and bus ridership
* A record 9.3 million rides were taken during the month, with 6.15 million trips on buses - the first time monthly bus trips topped 6 million.
* Weekly rides totaled 2,065,500, an 8.8 percent increase over October 2007.
* 340,900 weekday trips were taken on the system, a 7.4 percent increase over October 2007.
* Double-digit rush hour trips increases continue - 117,000 trips - a 10.9 percent compared to October 2007.
* Weekend trips totaled 361,000 up 8.4 percent over the previous October.
* Weekly rides on MAX averaged 699,700 trips, a 7.9 percent increase over October 2007.
* Weekday rides on MAX averaged 111,300 boardings a 3.4 percent increase over October 2007.
* Weekly bus trips increased 9.8 percent over October 2007, climbing to 1,365,800 rides.
* Weekday bus trips increased 9.4 percent over October 2007 to 229,600 trips.
"The record ridership we're seeing on our buses and MAX trains continues to demonstrate that transit works in our region and provides a quality alternative to driving," said TriMet General Manager Fred Hansen.
This information is courtesy of a TriMet.org news release.