From our Fall 2009 Newsletter:
As students head back to school, it is particularly important to obey traffic laws and to be safe drivers in school zones. Follow these back-to-school driver safety tips to keep all students safe this school year!
- Be patient during drop-off and pick-up, the roadways surrounding schools can be congested during these times. While potentially frustrating, remember that all drivers have the same goal — to safely transport their students.
- Obey the 20 mph speed limit in all school zones.
- Abide by parking signs; they are purposefully placed to provide visibility for students to cross streets safely.
- Yield to pedestrians at all intersections, whether marked with a crosswalk or not, it’s the law!
- Look both ways for pedestrians and bicyclists when turning right on a red light.
- Be aware of students where there are no sidewalks along the road and when backing out of driveways.
- Watch for younger and less predictable children darting into the road.
- Stop and wait for school buses when red lights are flashing.
Thank you for doing your part to provide safe student travel near your school!
Portland Police Bureau officers will be at every school the first few weeks to enforce school speed zones and other traffic laws.