As you are no doubt aware, the Walk + Bike Challenge is a friendly competition in May to see who walks, skates, or bikes most to school. We do our fair share of promotion for the Elementary/Middle School version of the program (register your school here if you haven't already), but today we're pleased to report older students can compete as well.
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance has completed their work on the walknbikechallenge.org website, where students can login in and track trips the webby way.
A brief how to:
- Anyone interested in taking the Challenge looks to see if their school/campus is already registered. If it isn't, they register themselves and their school's team at the same time. They become the Team Captain, by default.
- Their classmates register and join that school's team.
- Everyone logs their bike trips during the month of May.
- At the end of the month, the BTA tallies the active transportation trips and ranks all schools in high school and college categories by the percentage of commutes achieved by foot, bike, or skateboard.
- On June 11th, the BTA announces the winning schools in each category at Walk+Bike to Baseball night, a big celebration at PGE Park. Join us!
It’s easy, fun, and free, so give it a try!