Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Pothole + Sinkhole Repair

Report a pothole

To report a pothole, call our maintenance hotline at 503-823-1700 or use the PDXReporter smartphone app.  Potholes and ruts are filled with either cold-asphalt or hot-asphalt patches, depending on weather and other conditions. Pothole repair is a temporary fix and indicates damage to the street below the surface.

Pothole repair numbers for other jurisdictions:

  • Within Portland - 503-823-1700
  • Clackamas County - 503-650-3262
  • Multnomah County - 503-988-5050
  • Washington County - 503-846-7623
  • Beaverton - 503-526-3709
  • Gresham - 503-618-2525
  • Lake Oswego - 503-635-0280
  • Milwaukie - 503-786-7600
  • ODOT Freeways - 503-283-5859 

Report a sinkhole

You may also call 503-823-1700 for sinkhole repairs.  A sinkhole is a hole that reaches past the base of the roadway. Sinkholes are generally larger and deeper than potholes. They are usually caused by a source of water under the pavement, such as a broken pipe. The water causes the soil to wash away, creating a void under the pavement, and eventually the pavement gives away. When sinkholes are big, they can be hazardous to drivers and pedestrians. 

About utility cuts 

A utility cut is a rectangular excavation in the roadway. These cuts are made by utilities and plumbers to reach underground lines. The contractors are responsible for filling the ditch and paving it temporarily, and notifying the City upon completion of their work. The City will make a permanent repair to the roadway.