Right on cue, January has arrived in emphatic fashion. When bitter cold is joined by snow or ice TriMet provides us Essential Winter Weather Tips for Riders:
- If you expect snow or ice, check TriMet for service updates. TriMet provides many ways to find out about snow routes, delays and cancellations including TriMet’s web site and the old-school telephone: 503-238-RIDE (7433).
- Learn your snow route. Keep in mind that TriMet buses will follow their regular route as long as it’s safe to travel.
- When it goes from bad to awful, know that some bus lines are suspended. In general, routes on snow-plowed streets continue to operate.
- Transit Tracker’s Jack Frost transformation: When snow and ice hit, Transit Tracker cannot predict arrival times accurately, so if you call you’ll hear service alerts for your bus line instead.
- Dress warmly! Mom had it right, wear a hat. An extra pair of socks also couldn’t hurt since you’ll likely be standing on a frozen sidewalk.
If you’re traveling from the north side of the Columbia, see C-Tran’s Snow and Ice Detours page.