Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Sidewalk Repair: Frequently Asked Questions

Have you received a Sidewalk Repair Notice from a City Inspector?  Here are the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.  Please also see the overview for sidewalk repairs. 

Q. Why is the property owner responsible to repair and maintain the City's sidewalk?

A. City code states that property owners are responsible for the maintenance of sidewalks and driveways adjacent to their property.  Refer to the following website to view City Code 17.28.020 Responsibility for Sidewalks and Curb.

Q. Why did I get a Sidewalk Repair Notice?

A. Our office received a complaint of a hazardous condition adjacent to your property.

Q. What is considered a hazard?

A. As a general guideline, refer to the Sidewalk Maintenance Standards diagram.  Note that these are general guidelines and the Sidewalk Inspector will use his/her professional judgment to determine needed repairs.

Q. How much time do I have to make repairs?

A. City Charter requires the abutting property owner to "immediately" make the repairs.  The Sidewalk Maintenance office will allow 60 days.  If repairs are not made after 60 days, the City contractor will make repairs and the City Auditor will bill the property owner.  A second notice will be mailed to property owners.

Q. Can I make the repairs myself?

A. Yes.  Repairs made by property owners and contractors must meet all City Specifications. Please see the Sidewalk Repair Manual.  Print copies of the Sidewalk Repair Manual are available to purchase for $6.00 from our office. Call 503-823-1711.

Q. Why are contractors contacting me and how did they get my information?

A. Sidewalk Repair notices are considered public information and are available to contractors for providing bids to property owners.  There are no agreements between the City and private contractors.

Q. Do I need a sidewalk repair permit and where can do I get one?

A. Yes.  Working in the City right-of-way requires a permit.  Permits to make repairs as identified by Sidewalk Repair Notices can only be purchased at the Sidewalk Maintenance office located at 2929 N. Kerby Avenue in Portland.  Checks, credit cards, and exact cash are accepted.  Office hours: Monday through Friday, 7:00 to 11:00 and 11:30 to 2:30.  Please note that the office is closed from 11:00 to 11:30 for lunch.

Q. How much will the sidewalk repair permit cost?

A. Permit fees are reviewed annually and are based on the square footage of sidewalk, driveway, and lineal feet of curb to be repaired.  The current pricing for a permit is $0.99 per square foot with a $60.00 minimum and a $500.00 maximum.The curb price for permits is $1.35 per lineal foot.

Q. My contractor is asking for payment in full.  How do I know the work satisfies City requirements?

A. For your protection, the City of Portland does not recommend payment in full until the work passes a final inspection.  A record of this should be provided by the contractor or you can contact the Sidewalk Maintenance office at  503-823-1711.