Riding a bike in Portland is fun any time of year. But a lot of people don't realize they can still go by bike when the weather gets cooler.
We think there are lots of great reasons to keep riding, and we want to hear your reasons too. That's why we're getting ready for a Winter Cruise! In December and January, we'll be
- - giving away prizes and tips to keep you cruising during our cooler, damper days;
- - offering workshops on biking for tranportation
- - And we'll also be asking for your secrets for successful winter riding.
Will you Resolve to Ride in 2014? Once a week? When it's above 40 degrees? Instead of driving to the store?
It doesn't take much to join our Winter Cruise. Tell the world you're riding your bike this winter with the #Resolve2Ride hashtag on Twitter, Facebook or on Instagram.
Invite your friends to join you by using the hashtag #WinterCruise .
The #Winter Cruise story:
We kicked off Winter Cruise on Santa Lucia Day (Dec. 13th) with Breakfast on the Bridge. Volunteers served coffee and breakfast treats and asked those who stopped for their favorite reason to ride. Many had their picture taken with Santa Lucia.
- Thursday, January 9th : All-Season Cycling - Portland Bldg., 1120 SW 5th Ave. , 2nd floor room B – noon to 1pm
Don’t let your fun and fitness deteriorate in 2014, just because of a few raindrops! Join us as some experienced riders share strategies for staying dry, warm & safe throughout the Portland winter.
- Monday, January 13th : Bike Maintenance Basics - Portland Bldg. , 1120 SW 5th Ave., 2nd floor room B – noon to 1pm
Local professional cycling skills trainer Tori Bortman http://www.gracieswrench.com will demonstrate some bike maintenance tips & techniques that will help you keep your bike running smoothly and safely all year ‘round.
And share your photos of winter riding with us - using #WinterCruise to show everyone how much fun you're having.
In the meantime, check out these tips for riding in the cold and wet.
- PBOT's tips for damp and dark season bicycling.
- Momentum Magazine's Pacific NW guide to winter riding.
- or Momentum's quick guide to winter riding
- The Atlantic Cities blog post on winter commuting.