Are you a bike mechanic or a cycling enthusiast with basic repair skills? Then you can be a Mobile Mechanic for Sunday Parkways! Your job is to circle the route keeping an eye out for bikes pulled over for minor mechanical problems-- flat tires, dropped chains, rubbing brakes. If you can’t fix it with patches, pliers or a 15mm wrench, point them toward the nearest bike repair tent and pedal on! You’ll need to bring your own basic tools (tire levers, wrench, pliers, etc), patches and pump.
- Patrol the Sunday Parkways route looking for bikes in need of assistance
- Fix flats, tighten brakes and make other minor repairs to participants' bikes
- Direct participants needing anything more than a minor repair to the closest bike repair tent
- Be cheerful, energetic, communicative, empathetic and authoritative
- Understand and follow directions given by the Volunteer Coordinator
- Take our comprehensive online training
- Bring a bicycle that you’re able ride for the duration of the shift
- Be able to ride with confidence on a crowded street
- Be at least 18 years old or accompanied by an adult
- Each shift lasts no more than 3.5 hours, but you may sign up for more than one
- You’ll be provided with a Sunday Parkways volunteer t-shirt, snacks and water
- You must supply your own water bottle and weather-appropriate clothing
Volunteer for a shift near you and help show off your neighborhood, or volunteer in one you’ve always wanted to explore!
Questions? Contact us!
Serena Dressel, Volunteer Manager