Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 1331, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

FAQ and Resources


Type of permits

Community event application – do I qualify?  



Types of Permits

I’m organizing a run/bike ride, what kind of permit do I need?
You will need a Special Events permit.  The Special Events Program permits all moving events on streets and/or sidewalks, such as runs, walks, marches, parades or bicycle races. Contact Allison Madsen at 503-865-2482 or visit

My neighbors and I want to have a bbq and let our kids play in the street, what kind of permit do I need?
You should apply for a block party permit.  Block party permits allow neighbors to shut down a street for a day. Please call 503-823-4003 or visit

My church would like to hold a picnic for our parishioners and surrounding community members, what kind of permit do I need?
You will need to apply for a community event permit. Community event permits are larger in scale than block party permits.  Please call  503-823-5191 or visit

Community event application – do I qualify?  What are the regulations? 

What types of events are eligible for a community event street closure? 
Community events are larger events that invite participants from the entire neighborhood or the greater community.  They are non-political, non-commercial and provide a civic benefit to the community.  The event must be free to the general public. Examples of the types of events are: farmers markets, neighborhood street fairs, tree lightings, church picnics, art shows, maker fairs, and so much more.  If you are wondering if your event fits into the guidelines of a community event permit, please call 503-823-1099.

Do I have to have a non-profit beneficiary for my community event?
Yes. If the organization applying for the permit is a for-profit entity, then you are required to partner with a non-profit beneficiary.  We will need a letter from the non-profit beneficiary acknowledging its relationship with the event. 

Can I sell tickets to enter the event in the street?
Yes. In February 2018 City Council has  allowed for permitted ticketed street events, as long as the ticket sales are available to the general public.  Ticketed events must meet all other community event permit requirements.

What can I close and how long can I close it for?

Do I have to close the entire street?
No.  You can close half of a block, part of the block, a lane, a sidewalk, or parking spaces but you still must notify ALL the residents on the block by flyer. Please note that you are required to submit signatures of notification from every property that will be within the closed area.  You do not need to provide signatures of notification for the portion of the block that is not closed but please provide then a notification flyer of the closure.  The traffic control plan will need to detail how and where you plan to safely close the portion of the street.  

Can I close the sidewalks in addition to the street?
You can close one sidewalk but must leave one open for pedestrians that wish to travel through the street closed area.

Can I close the intersection and multiple blocks?
Yes, but keep in mind the more streets you want to close, the more complex (and often times more expensive) the required traffic control.

Can I close the street for more than one day?


Is the street I want to close available on my chosen date?
This usually isn't a problem but you can give us a call and we can let you know if there is an application or permit issued for the same location.

When will you deliver my barricades?
We don’t provide any traffic control devices.  If you need to rent them, try contacting the following businesses.  If you know of any other companies, please let us know and we will add them to this list:

I want to close a street that has a Tri-Met bus on it, what should I do?
Contact Tri-Met at 503-962-8117.  Additional permits may apply.

I want to have amplified music at my event
Contact Noise Control at 503-823-7350 or

There is metered parking on the street, how do I get that reserved?
In a metered district, the City’s Parking Enforcement Staff will place the no-parking signs out in advance and will enforce any violations of the permit. Violation enforcement and towing are included in the permit price.

If I want to have alcohol at my event what OLCC permits do I need to get


For helpful instructions on getting a temporary license please see the Liquor License Program webpage:

The forms ask for signature from the local government which can be obtained from The City of Portland Liquor Licensing Program located in City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Ave. Room 110 Portland Oregon 97204.

How do I manage garbage and recycling at my event?

Portland's own Bureau of Planning and Sustainability has great information for managing waste at your event. Please see their website for more information :



Do I need to notify people on the block?
Yes.  We require you to notify people on the block 4-6 weeks prior to the event.  We supply a signature gathering form for your convenience but you are also required to create a flier with all of the pertinent information (including: dates, times, contact name and number) to leave at each property along the street. You will need to submit signatures representing 60-80% of the properties affected as well as providing proof of notification for 100% of all properties.

 For questions or more information:
Call: 503.823.5191
 Fax:  503.279.3953