This project will reconnect the Slabtown neighborhood and NW Portland by extending NW 20th Avenue and NW Thurman Street. This will create a new intersection and a new, more efficient, route for people driving and walking in this growing area. This project is funded by a $7.5 million local improvement district (LID) funded by participating property owners in the area.
Construction period detours and timeframes:
Early October 2018 through Spring 2019:
- U-turn from Westbound U.S. 30/ Fremont Bridge/I-405 to eastbound Vaughn Street connector CLOSED. Travelers westbound on U.S. 30 going to 19th and Vaughn St should go north on NW 23rd Avenue.
- Travelers going between NW 23rd and NW 19th Avenues should plan to travel along NW Wilson St or Thurman and NW Raleigh Streets.
Street improvements include:
- New NW 20th Avenue from NW Raleigh Street to NW Upshur Street
- Protected bike lanes on NW 20th Avenue (NW Raleigh St to Upshur St)
- Protected bike lanes on NW Thurman St (NW 20th Ave to NW 19th Ave)
- Relocated NW Thurman Street from NW 20th Avenue to NW 21st Avenue
- Modifications to NW 23rd Avenue & Vaughn Street intersection at the U.S. 30 off-ramp
- Modifications to NW 23rd Avenue between NW Thurman Street and NW Vaughn Street
- Replacement traffic signal for NW 23rd Avenue & Vaughn St. & U.S. Highway 30 intersection
Property owners are funding this project. If you have any questions about this project, please contact Local Improvement District Administrator and Project Manager Andrew Aebi.
Andrew Aebi | 503.823.5648
The City of Portland complies with all non‐discrimination, Civil Rights laws including Civil Rights Title VI and ADA Title II. To help ensure equal access to City programs, services and activities, the City of Portland will reasonably modify policies/procedures and provide auxiliary aids/services to persons with disabilities. Call 503-823-5185, TTY 503-823-6868 or Oregon Relay Service: 711 with such requests, or visit http://bit.ly/13EWaCg