Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Street Use During Large-Scale Construction

If you are planning a construction project with impacts to the public right-of-way (ROW), this information will help you prepare for the temporary street use permitting process.

Click here for important information about sidewalk closures.

Additionally, here are some application details:

Filling out the form

If you are requesting permits on more than one street, please complete one application form for each street.  This form will detail what you are requesting on that particular street.

On the application, "sidewalk closure" means a full closure of the sidewalk area, while "sidewalk use" means a partial use of the sidewalk area with a pedestrian walkway maintained on the existing sidewalk area.  For either of these options, you'll need to indicate the dimensions of the sidewalk area you are asking to close.

If you will be fencing off a portion of the ROW, we need the dimensions of the closed area.  This can be either on your traffic control plan or on the diagram provided on your application form.

Additional requirements

For any sort of closure (sidewalk, travel lane, street), you need to submit a traffic control plan.  Click here for more info on that requirement.

Before we can issue a closure permit, we need to have a current certificate of insurance on file.  Here's a link to those requirements.

Will your work impact a TriMet bus route?  Please contact them early in the planning stages.  They can be reached at 503-962-4949 or

Review time and permit duration

For complex projects, we need at least seven business days to review your permit request.  Long-term projects often require more extensive review, and this can require alterations to your proposed start date.

Permits have a maximum duration of 13 weeks.  You'll be able to request to renew the permits as needed.