BIKETOWN offers $1 discount to new users to make using bike share an easier option during MAX construction
(Aug. 19, 2016) The traveling public is advised to plan ahead for transit delays and street closures during TriMet’s Rose Quarter MAX Improvements project. The project will require the disruption of MAX Blue, Green and Red lines and reduced frequency on all lines from Sunday, Aug. 21 through Saturday, Sept. 3. The construction will close some streets, crosswalks and sidewalks in the Rose Quarter area on Saturday, Aug. 20 through Wednesday, Sept. 7.
TriMet is advising riders to alter their trips to avoid the main commuting hours or use other transportation options such as TriMet regular bus service, Portland Streetcar, or consider biking and walking options, including the BIKETOWN bike sharing system during the two-week project.
- Westbound travelers can access the Portland Streetcar stop at NE 7th Avenue and Holladay to catch the A Loop to PSU via OMSI, or access the stop at NE Grand and Multnomah to catch the B Loop to PSU via the Pearl District.
- Eastbound travelers may consider catching Portland Steetcar A Loop stops on SW 10th Avenue or B Loop stops on SW 11th Avenue to reach the Lloyd District area and Lloyd Center/NE 11th Ave MAX station.
- BIKETOWN stations located at NE Wheeler at Multnomah, NE Holladay at MLK, NE Multnomah at Grand, NE Multnomah at 9th and NE 11th at Holladay Park will be open and available for TriMet riders looking to connect between trains at the Interstate/Rose Quarter and Lloyd Center/NE 11th MAX stations or to finish their trips into or out of the Central City.
Three MAX stations will be closed: Rose Quarter, Convention Center and NE 7th Ave. Shuttle buses will run between the Interstate/Rose Quarter and Lloyd Center/NE 11th Ave stations, and serve stops near closed stations.
People biking or walking in the area are encouraged to use NE Multnomah Street, which has protected bike lanes and sidewalks. The BIKETOWN bike share program is a convenient option for MAX riders needing to reach downtown, the Central Eastside, or other destinations in central Portland.
BIKETOWN has created a special $1 off promotion for new users who are looking for options during the MAX improvements project. A discount code: CONNECT1 is good for $1 off a Single Ride pass for new users only. Valid thru Sept. 4, 2016.
The best way to use this code is to set up an account in the mobile App.
People interested in using BIKETOWN can download the app in the App Store or Google Play, set up an account on BIKETOWN’s website or sign up at any BIKETOWN kiosk. The closest Rose Quarter kiosk is located in front of the Oregon Convention Center at NE Holladay at MLK. A detailed BIKETOWN system map can be viewed at: www.biketownpdx.com/map
In addition to the MAX station closures, the following streets will be affected:
- NE 1st Avenue will be closed between Multnomah and Holladay streets. Because of this, people in cars taking the Convention Center/Moda Center exit off of I-84 must turn right, on green only.
- The left lane on NE 1st Avenue between Oregon and Holladay streets also will be closed, forcing a right turn only on green as well.
- The north sidewalk between NE Wheeler Avenue and 2nd Avenue will be closed. Crosswalks across NE Holladay Street will be closed on the north side of 1st Avenue and the west side of 2nd Avenue.
- The crosswalk on the east side of Wheeler Avenue also will be closed for a time. When it is closed, pedestrians will have access to a temporary crosswalk on the west side of Wheeler.
People traveling east by bike are advised to travel on NE Multnomah Street to avoid work zones. People traveling north on N Interstate Ave will have a designated bike lane detour around the shuttle bus station at Interstate and Multnomah.
The traveling public is advised to expect delays. We ask the public to travel cautiously, observe all lane closures and directions by reader boards and flaggers, and use alternate routes if possible.
For additional information on the Rose Quarter MAX Improvements Project, visit: http://trimet.org/alerts/rosequarter/index.htm