** Fixing Our Streets Project List **
Thanks for checking in about our Safe Routes to School/Fixing Our Streets project map and lists. Our staff are still in the process of refining projects before sharing them with the public. It is taking us longer than expected. Check back again, or sign up for Fixing Our Streets newsletter updates. Updated 1/12/18
Safe Routes to School and the Fixing Our Streets Program to Make Safety Improvements
Through PBOT's Fixing Our Streets program, SRTS is expecting to make a large investment in safety improvements around Portland schools in the next few years. This year we're asking families and school communities to help us figure out what is needed most in their high school cluster.
What is Fixing Our Streets? In May 2016, Portland voters passed Measure 26-173, Portland's first local funding source dedicated to fixing our streets for people of all ages and abilities. Fixing Our Streets is projected to raise $64 million for road maintenance and street safety projects across the City of Portland over the next four years. SRTS expects $8 million in investments to make routes safer and more convenient for kids to walk, bike, and roll to school.
How is the money allocated? SRTS divided Fixing Our Streets funds geographically across Portland's 12 high school clusters, each including boundaries of 3 to 13 schools (elementary, K-8, and middle). The allocation process considered cluster-wide demographic information (including student body population) compared with the existing network of pedestrian and bicycle facilities. The final funding recommendations prioritize schools with high rates of communities of color, free & reduced lunch, and English language learners. To learn more about the funding allocation and sample projects, click here.
How did SRTS gather initial feedback from school communities?
- Throughout Spring 2017, SRTS staff organized several open houses and community outreach events in partnership with Portland Public School District, Parkrose School District, and non-profit Oregon Walks to better understand the unique needs of each school community.
- SRTS coordinators in Centennial, Reynolds, David Douglas districts provided information gathering opportunities at school events.
- We gathered information through an online open house, through coordination with school offices and parent groups, and at school events.
- We also used information from concerns voiced through our SRTS survey over the past few years.
The information we asked of participants at open houses and school events was:
- What are the major safety needs of each school?
- What are the primary walking routes to each school?
Below you will see a list of past open houses and community walks hosted earlier this year.
|Grant||Tuesday, February 28||Sabin School, 4013 NE 18th Ave||Janis McDonald|
|Roosevelt||Tuesday, March 14||César Chávez School, 5103 N Willis||Lale Santelices|
|Franklin||Tuesday, March 21||Arleta School, 5109 SE 66th Ave||Janis McDonald|
|Cleveland||Tuesday, April 4||Hosford Middle School, 2303 SE 28th Place||Lale Santelices|
|Madison||Wednesday, April 12||Scott School, 6700 NE Prescott||Lale Santelices|
|Parkrose||Tuesday, April 18||Parkrose MS, 11800 NE Shaver||Janis McDonald|
|Jefferson||Thursday, April 20||Ockley Green MS, 6031 N Montana||Lale Santelices|
|Wilson||Tuesday, April 25||Jackson MS, 10625 SW 35th Ave||Janis McDonald|
|Lincoln||Tuesday, May 2||Lincoln HS, 1600 SW Salmon St||Lale Santelices|
Community Walks with Oregon Walks & SRTS
Earlier in 2017 through a partnership between PPS and Metro, Oregon Walks hosted community walks to discuss barriers and routes close to school. Read more about the project and see what type of feedback they heard from school communities on their website.
Cleveland Cluster Walk Audits
- Whitman Elementary, TBD in April!
Franklin Cluster Walk Audits
- Lane Middle School, TBD in April!
- Woodmere Elementary, Saturday, April 29th, morning, exact time TBD
Jefferson Cluster Walk Audits
- Faubion K-8, TBD in September (at home campus)!
- King K-8, Wednesday, March 15 @ 3:30pm
- Jefferson High School, TBD in May!
- Ockley Green Middle School, TBD in April or May!
- Rigler Elementary, Saturday, April 22 @ 11:30 am
- Scott K-8, Wednesday, April 19 @ 5:00 pm
- Vernon K-8, Wednesday, March 22 @ 3:15pm
- Woodlawn Elementary, Friday, March 17 @ 3pm
Roosevelt Cluster Walk Audits
- César Chávez K-8, Thursday, April 6 @ 2:15pm
- Roosevelt High School, TBD in May!
- Rosa Parks Elementary, Friday, March 10 @ 9:30am
- Sitton Elementary, Tuesday, April 4 @ 2:30pm
Wilson Cluster Walk Audits
- Hayhurst Elementary, Wednesday, April 26 @ 2:30pm
- Markham Elementary, Thursday, April 27 @ 3:10pm
- Robert Gray Middle School, Wednesday, April 26 @ 3:45pm