

**Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting**  
**City Hall, Lovejoy Room**  
**6-8pm September 12, 2017**

**BAC Members Present:** Rithy Khut (Chair), Elliot Akwai-Scott (Vice Chair), Keith Liden, Ian Stude, Shayna Rehberg, Roger Averbeck, Reza Farhoodi, Evan Ross, Jim Chasse, Jocelyn Gaudi, Betsy Platt, Kari Schlosshauer

**BAC Members Absent:** Dan Bower, Maria Erb, Kirk Paulsen

**PBOT Staff:** Scott Batson, Norberto Adre, Sheila Parrott, Denver Igarta, Roger Geller, Daniel Soebbing

**Guests:** Jonathan Maus, Marvin Rambo, Luke Norman, Marsha Hanchow, Chris Eykamp

**Announcements**

**6:05**

*Elliot Akwai-Scott opened the meeting:*

Bike Portland covered TSP mode share goals. The BAC composed a letter to the director of PBOT which laid out the desire to keep mode share goals unchanged. The PBOT director responded and agreed to keep the mode share goals unchanged.

*Roger Averbeck:* The governor intended to veto funding for the Capitol hwy. project. The governor changed her mind. She never gave a good rationale for why she was intending to veto the bill.

I called Steve Szigethy to clarify which section for which the money was intended. It was for the segment from Taylor's Ferry to SW Huber. We still don't know what the project will entail, but the funding is secured. There's an additional \$3 million that is available from ODOT to address other issues.

*Keith Leiden:* SWIM is finally getting underway this month.

*Jocelyn Gaudi:* Gateway Green is open. If you haven't had a chance to make it out there, it's great. There's something for everyone.

*Shayna Rehberg:* The open house for bike parking update project was shared already. If you haven't checked it out, please do. Please share it.

*Kari Schlosshauer:* I'd like to apologize for my recent absence. House transportation bill passed. It includes money for Safe Routes to School. It means schools that haven't had opportunities to make infrastructure upgrades will now have money to do so. Walk and roll to school is coming up on Wednesday.

*Roger Geller:* Take the survey for bike parking code. It's a good survey and provides good information about the proposed update.

*Rithy Khut:* Next month will be a joint meeting with the PAC. The date will be changed, and the meeting will probably take longer. The meeting will be on the third

Tuesday, October 17. It will begin at 6pm and last until 9pm. The meeting will be in the Lovejoy Room.

## **SW Main Construction**

**6:10**

*Norberto Adre:* I have a handout to pass around. It is a letter from the businesses in the area that we will be paving. On the back is a graphic that shows what will be done in the project.

The project is only expected to last 40 days, depending on weather.

We have a suggested route. Bikes don't have to take it, but if they ride on Main they will have to share the lane with vehicles.

I'd like bikeportland to tell the bike community to avoid Main in his blog.

Buses are being routed onto Jefferson.

We need the help from the bike community to get the word out that this project is really trying to fix the pavement, which is in bad shape.

*Shayna:* The project is scheduled to begin now?

*Norberto:* That was the original planned start date. The project was delayed.

*Shayna:* It's starting next week?

*Norberto:* Yes

*Jocelyn:* Will you be having signs routing people onto Naito?

*Norberto:* We will try to have signs.

*Jocelyn:* You could have a sign right before the lane split.

*Elliot:* It looks like the striping will add a bike box. Is the repaving going to the off ramp coming from the bridge?

*Norberto:* Yes

*Norberto:* The project will be phased. The concrete will happen first. Then some stormwater work. The last phase will be the asphalt.

*Elliot:* Is the whole street section being closed for five weeks?

*Norberto:* No. The majority of time there will be 2 travel lanes.

*Elliot:* So, we are eliminating the turn lane and the bike lane while the concrete pad is being poured. Are detour signs being posted for bikes?

*Norberto:* We will have signs suggesting alternate routes. But we are not closing the street to bikes.

*Elliot:* But there will be a bike lane coming off the bridge, and then bikes will be merging into the travel lane. Can we put a temporary bike box in the intersection?

*Norberto:* We aren't blocking access to bikes, but I'm trying to discourage people from using the street.

*Christopher Achterman:* If you don't block access then bikes are going to use the street and you need to have signage in place to help facilitate that.

*Betsy Platt:* Perhaps you could put a detour sign?

*Norberto:* That's why I came here, to try to get the word out that bikes need to be diverted.

*Elliot:* What about a bike box that is just painted lines?

*Norberto:* This project is already costing a lot of money. That would add cost.

*Elliot:* If you don't close off access to the bike lane at the end of bridge, you are going to get some people merging into traffic. The BAC is not capable of getting the word out to everybody.

*Ian Stude:* What is being voiced by the BAC is that if this is just a suggested detour, we need to provide for the safety of people that miss the detour.

*Roger Averbek:* I support the new striping plan. I'm glad to see the bike boxes. Some monitoring and adjustments might be needed.

I hope that bikes will not use the sidewalk as a detour while construction is happening.

*Norberto:* We are trying to accommodate everybody. A transit stop has already been moved. Some IRS employees are asking for flaggers to help cross the intersection.

*Kari:* I suggest something that is probably going to be unpopular. I don't see any plan for diverting traffic that is going south. I wonder if it's not possible to continue better Naito for the length of this project to divert traffic onto an East/West street.

It's a better solution to close the bike ramp for the duration of the construction.

*Norberto:* The detour onto Jefferson was suggested by Jeff Smith.

*Kari:* I know people don't like closing things, but it's only five weeks.

*Keith:* I would like to suggest that if you have signage for a detour, that the signage indicate where the detour goes. People aren't likely to take a detour if they don't know where it goes.

*Christopher:* I agree with the idea of closing the bike lane and make clear detour signage.

Signage should begin earlier on the bridge so that people don't suddenly see signs right before the turn.

The signs should be posted immediately so that people are aware of the detour in advance.

*Kari:* Better Naito is ending at the end of the month. Has there been a conversation about keeping a couple of blocks open for the duration of this project?

*Roger Geller:* Gabe Graff manages that project. I'll check with him to see what the plans are.

*Norberto:* You have my email address. Please contact me with any suggestions.

*Rithy:* I would suggest having signs almost all the way back to 11<sup>th</sup>, near Ladd's addition so that people can choose their route before they get on the bridge.

*Norberto:* We have lots of projects that are going on at the same time that are going to cause problems. That's why I'm coming to you to ask for your help in getting the work out.

I noticed that some of the bike facilities on Jefferson were partially blocked, and I'm trying to help to keep those lanes clear.

*Keith:* What about Vermont?

*Norberto:* I have 90% plans completed. I'm going to build sidewalk from 42<sup>nd</sup> to 52<sup>nd</sup>. The rest of the project there will be a 2-way path.

*Roger Averbek:* Will that be separated from the street?

*Norberto:* It will be at sidewalk level.

On the north side of the street there will be a widened shoulder.

*Keith:* Can we see those plans?

*Norberto:* I can share them with you.

## **Lincoln-Harrison Greenway**

**6:30**

*Sheila Parrott:* We are here to talk about the Ladd-Lincoln-Harrison Neighborhood Greenway.

- It's one of the City's oldest and most heavily used greenways.
- The Greenway Assessment Report recommended performance standards for neighborhood greenways.
- The findings were that improvements were needed to address deficiencies on the greenway to reduce speeds and traffic to make the corridor more comfortable for walking and biking.
- There are several segments that exceed vehicle volume maximums for neighborhood greenways.
- All segments of the greenway are exceeding speed targets. Many segments are exceeding volume targets.
- All of the current proposals came out of meetings that we held with 3 neighborhood associations. We will go back to them with any changes that come out of this meeting.
- We will be collecting data at the diverters and within 3 blocks of the diverters to see where the traffic is being diverted to.
- The one segment that won't have standard diverters is on Ladd, which is a segment that is used by buses, and where there is a gas station that needs to receive fuel deliveries.

*Christopher:* The segment coming onto Ladd isn't that uncomfortable. There is enough congestion that people have to slow down there, allowing people to move around.

*Reza Aslan:* This design is much improved over the original, especially east of 50<sup>th</sup>. There is no volume reduction in the area between 26<sup>th</sup> and 50<sup>th</sup>?

*Scott Batson:* That is a neighborhood collector. 20<sup>th</sup> is the proposed collector to replace that street.

*Reza:* It's not currently a collector?

*Scott:* No. It currently functions like a collector. We are proposing to reclassify it. We can't put diverters on 26<sup>th</sup> until its classification is changed in the TSP.

*Reza:* So that would just require updating the TSP to reflect conditions.

*Ian:* Is traffic between 26<sup>th</sup> and 30<sup>th</sup> just from vehicles that are going north/south and making the jog?

*Scott:* That's possible. We have some data on turns at those intersections. About a third of the traffic that is making that turn off of 30<sup>th</sup> are continuing on 26<sup>th</sup>. In PM traffic, much of the traffic is coming from the west and going south.

*Ian:* Maybe they are avoiding the light at 20<sup>th</sup> and division.

*Scott:* Maybe.

One of the curious things, if you are familiar with Clinton, was that we put diverters at the ends, away from the busiest section of Clinton. We saw a drop off in traffic through the busiest sections as a result of that. We may see similar results on Lincoln.

*Keith:* With traffic volumes going up, and complaints and congestion going up, do you foresee similar problems on other greenways, where more cut through traffic will end up using greenways?

*Scott:* Absolutely. That is why we are doing more diverters. Traffic going between adjacent businesses, and even local residents will continue to try to use local streets to get through. Now we are going to have to use diverters to keep traffic from continuing through on local streets.

*Jim Chasse:* I have a question about the raised median at 20<sup>th</sup>. I see people driving right over it.

*Scott:* The proposed island is more substantial than the island at 20<sup>th</sup> and Ankeny. The proposed island includes a place for a barrel. That island used to have reflective domes on top.

This proposal won't change any emergency access. Currently emergency vehicles have to straddle the barrier or go into the oncoming traffic lane.

*Christopher:* You are proposing to install the barrel?

*Scott:* Yes

*Elliot:* I'm excited for the treatment at 50<sup>th</sup> and Lincoln.

Are the speed cushions the same as those that were implemented at 28<sup>th</sup>?

*Scott:* I hope not. These are intended to be built like the ones at Stark and Thorburn. The bumps that you are referring to were not built to spec. I don't know who built them.

A bike pedal is 3 to 5 inches off the road. With this design the whole bump is less than 3 inches off the road.

This bump is not intended for bikes to drive through them. But we are planning to build speed bumps that bikes can drive through next year on Clinton.

*Sheila:* will there be markings for bike positioning on the speed bumps?

*Scott:* I have talked with Roger about putting sharrows on the test speed bumps on Clinton, but we don't intend to use them here.

*Elliot:* We aren't touching anything to the west of Clay?

*Scott:* Yes

*Elliot:* I'm interested in the intersection of 12<sup>th</sup> and Clay. There is a crosswalk there, but there could be a cross bike, as well.

A lot of bikes continue to the west at that intersection but there aren't any facilities to help bikes that are trying to get over to Madison.

*Scott:* Roger, what does a crossbike cost?

*Roger:* \$3000. But we aren't doing those in those types of intersections.

*Jocelyn:* I am excited about the implementation of diverters. I think they will save the greenway system. I am a confident cyclist, but I think diverters will make it easier for all cyclists. Thank you for being bold. I hope you bring them to all greenways.

*Shannon:* I am also a diverter fan. But do you have an idea of where the diverts are going to send traffic? What was the feedback from the community?

*Sheila:* A lot of community members were concerned about cut through traffic from division.

The diverter at 30<sup>th</sup> was proposed by neighborhood associations.

*Kari:* I see you are removing parking at a couple locations. At the one at 30<sup>th</sup> and 26<sup>th</sup> are there plans to remove parking to improve sight lines?

*Scott:* there is no additional parking removal proposed at these locations. I don't think you can legally park in the intersection under current rules.

*Kari:* The 10 bus goes through Ladd's addition, it also goes down Clinton. Some people have suggested that rerouting that bus away from greenways would be a good idea.

When 20<sup>th</sup> is redesignated, could we send the bus down 20<sup>th</sup> instead?

Google maps always sends me down greenways because it doesn't have stop signs. Diversions prevents this, but until we have diversions, algorithms will keep dumping people onto these streets.

*Scott:* We don't have a way of getting Waze to stop sending people onto these streets. We also have a conflict of interest because we are getting data from Waze.

*Roger Averbek:* I think it's worth exploring why these apps are sending people onto greenways.

*Scott:* Internal diversion will be the best solution in the future.

*Evan Ross:* On that note, with autonomous vehicles in mind, how come traffic signals are so far behind? How come signals can't detect buses?

*Scott:* Those upgrades get implemented when signals are installed.

We use those types of signals in some locations. But those upgrades cost a large amount of money to install.

We won't have money in the next 5 to 10 years to replace all signals.

*Evan:* If you have signals that are smart enough to change in response to congestion, you don't need diverters.

*Scott:* That level of sophistication doesn't yet exist. The loops in the streets are the best existing technology.

*Evan:* The technology will come to the cars first. I'd like to see our signals match what the cars are going to be capable of doing.

*Scott:* The simulations that show autonomous vehicles moving through intersections without signals never include pedestrians or bicyclists.

*Public comment:* Do speed cushions achieve 20 mph speeds?

*Scott:* We haven't had success getting speeds down to 20 with cushions. I hope that they will work by getting people to avoid those routes.

There is no good design that works with slowing speeds on emergency routes.

*Shayna:* Thanks for posting information on the BAC website.

## **Complete Streets**

**7:30**

*Rithy:* Thanks to Denver for coming. He is the new complete streets manager.

*Denver Igarta:* Thanks for reserving time for me to come.

I have worked with many of you on a variety of projects since I've been at PBOT.

My passion is about creating connected communities where people have equal access.

There should be accommodations for people to use any mode of their choice.

As Portland plans to grow significantly, a lot has changed since I arrived here in 1999.

I'm excited to work with the complete streets team which includes Roger Geller, the bicycle coordinator, Michelle Marx, the Pedestrian coordinator, David Galat, the ADA coordinator, Bob Hillier, the Freight Coordinator, and Taylor Phillips, our new associate planner.

My first planning job was in Tigard. Then I came here to PBOT to work with Roger Geller on a bicycle plan.

I have worked on a number of neighborhood street plans around Portland, which have helped to inform me about how the right of way functions for a variety of transportation modes.

- The comprehensive plan introduced 2 elements that we are still trying to address.
  - One is a transportation hierarchy
  - The other is addressing all of the different demands on the right of way, from stormwater, to trees, to other uses.
  - We have to maximize the use of the limited right of way that we have.

In the old way of thinking it was ok to have space in the right of way that was only there for moving cars. The new way of thinking is that the space needs to accommodate all users.

In the past, modal operations worked independently. Now our goal is to find a way for all of these different elements to work together.

Our team is focused on seeking to maximize outcomes in the right of way.

There are a lot of opportunities for new tools, new ways of thinking to work through.

A lot of cities have complete streets guides.

We can do a lot to improve our process of delivering projects.

The complete streets team can have a process of monitoring capital projects.

This team can also help to coordinate how we work with other bureaus. I have spent a lot of time over the last couple of years working with BES.

*Christopher:* When we talk about the safety of the users of the roadway, why are we not getting a discussion between parks, schools and PBOT to find out how we can make kids safe on routes to school?

*Denver:* There is an important role for our group to advocate for SR2S, Vision Zero, and Neighborhood Greenways, as well as other city priorities.

*Jocelyn:* Does complete streets address paved or soft surface trails? Are you coordinating with BPS on these issues to help people move safely between riding locations.

*Denver:* Off road trails is an important part of our bike network. In the SW, off road trails are an important part of allowing people to get around. It's a part of the way that people currently get around.

*Jocelyn:* if more trails were available, more people would probably use them

*Keith:* I would like to highlight coordination within PBOT, as well.

Also, coordination with other jurisdictions. For example, the City has been giving attention to Beaverton Hillsdale highway. But the whole situation explodes when you leave city limits. Street improvements can only achieve so much success if neighboring jurisdictions aren't doing their part.

Will you be including this committee and the public as you settle on your new way of doing business?

*Denver:* So far, we have been internally focused, trying to figure out exactly who we are. We are trying to decide what the functional role of our group is. We started with NACTO urban streets guides. We've also discussed the vision for complete streets.



When we have something that we feel is ready to share, we will bring it to you to get your feedback on it.

*Roger Averbeck:* Welcome to your new position. We know that we have good policies in place with the Comp Plan and TSP updates. We know that many street classifications are aspirational. We aren't anywhere near implementing how they should function. With the statewide funding package, who knows how much will filter down to actually be built. With that in mind, we can't miss any opportunity to get something built. I'm really glad to hear that you have been involved with development review, because developers have been pushing back against doing what they are required to do in terms of building streets.

*Rithy:* I wanted to point out that you are overseeing freight. Two of the modal groups that you oversee work well together. But freight is a different story.

One question that you will have to address is the equity question. Equity is not just a lens. You can take lenses off. It has to be something that runs throughout your work.

## **Committee Business**

**7:51**

*Rithy:* We are going to start recruitment

Thanks to everybody for filling out the survey

The subcommittee has a good idea of who is staying and who has indicated that they are going. The forms are close to being ready to be released

The goal is to have new members ready to be appointed by December.

By the 1<sup>st</sup> of the year we hope to have new members.

The subcommittee still has to decide how to do scoring.

*Roger Averbeck:* Can you clarify whether anyone that is currently on the committee who wants to stay on needs to reapply?

*Rithy:* It appears that based on responses, that enough people are planning to not continue with the committee that we will have enough open spaces to absorb new members that would like to join and accommodate existing members that want to stay on.

*Roger Averbeck:* Have you been keeping track of the starting point of people's terms so that we know what the stagger will be between start and end of terms in the future?

*Rithy:* I think everyone started at the same time except Jim.

*Kari:* We should have a party to celebrate the end of the term of this iteration of the committee in December.

*Rithy:* I agree. I'm on the party committee at my place of employment. So, I'm prepared to make that happen.

## **Adjourn**

**7:57**