Equity in Portland Progress
In a concerted effort to be more systematic in PBOT’s work on behalf of fellow Portlanders, Portland Progress was launched in 2015 and is a work plan that builds from the directives and priorities identified in the Bureau of Transportation foundational plans - The Portland Plan, the Comprehensive Plan, the Transportation System Plan, and the Climate Action Plan. Portland Progress builds on the existing framework set forth in these plans and lays out ways that PBOT can support these citywide efforts.
Portland Progress I accomplishments includes the completion of the bureau's 5 year Racial Equity Plan
The second edition of Portland Progress, the Bureau of Transportation’s strategic two-year workplan, presents a set of meaningful, equitable and measureable actions that the bureau will take to ensure that all Portlanders can get where they need to go safely and easily.
Key Equity Action Items in Portland Progress II
1. Use the newly adopted Citywide Racial Equity Toolkit for one program, policy or practice in each work group.
2. Build the capacity of racial equity staff champions to expand the use of the Racial Equity Toolkit.
3. Identify and translate key documents into Safe Harbor Languages.
4. Update and adopt PBOT’s MWESB Toolkit to include Bureau-wide standards, guidance, training protocols and reporting procedures for MWESB goals and utilization.
5. Create a template that outlines the requirements for expanded outreach for all job postings that will specifically target communities of color.
6. Translate all of the Parking Enforcement online and written materials that are public facing into the City's Safe Harbor languages. Add translation software on the Parking Officers' smart phones for more effective communication with Limited English Proficient (LEP) customers.
7. Standardize performance review process and include performance measurement on equity competencies.
8. Establish bureau-wide equity, diversity and inclusion knowledge competencies and develop training plans to achieve them.