This year has been as unpredictable as 2017! Filled with impossible moments, laughter, surprise, and lots of LOVE. Yep, Sunday Parkways has been filled with loving moments shared among friends, families, partners, neighbors and new friends. We are so lucky to be able to have this event in Portland. Over this last year or more accurately, last 10 years, we have had the amazing opportunity to partner with many amazing people from across the region and even the world!
Sunday Parkways continues to introduce Portlanders new and old to biking, walking and public transit as options for not only commuting by recreation by opening miles of streets to the public for play, exercise, and community building. These routes were designed to create a fun and inclusive environment for people to enjoy neighborhood greenways and low traffic residential streets. Along the way, we also have an opportunity to mingle as a City, to connect to each other, and to come together as a community. Overall, an estimated 100,000 people participated in Sunday Parkways!
It has been an amazing 10 years for Sunday Parkways. Here is a look at Sunday Parkways from the numbers:
• 10 years since we met! Yep, we walked and rolled into each others lives just ten years ago and its been going swimmingly ever since. Looking forward to celebrating our 20th (don’t forget
• 39+ beautiful green spaces and parks have served as the beautiful activity hubs for the Sunday Parkways marketplaces (want to see the list? Click here).
• 600+ neighborhood associations, schools, community organizations, places of worship, and businesses participated as vendors and volunteer groups!
• 329.8 miles of Portland's streets have opened up for Sunday Parkways! We are looking forward to making that over 400 miles.
• 41,000+ HOURS is the amount of collective volunteer time Sunday parkways volunteers have contributed over the 10 years - WAY TO ROCK IT! There is no dream, without a TEAM!
• 883,000* is the combined attendance of people who have come out to Sunday Parkways over the last 10 years. Thank you Thank You THANK YOU!! You are why we do this. (*The total population of Portland is 639,863 and the population of Seattle is 704,352)!!
Overall it’s been a grand and wonderful year because of all of you. You are a reminder that community, family and friends are what make the world go round. Thank you all for keeping us rolling and helping us to bring more happiness, health and community to Portland. See you in 2018!!
Keep in touch throughout the year to check for updates and news about Sunday Parkways and Active Transportation. Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
For maps and information for 2018, visit www.PortlandSundayParkways.org or call 503-823-7599.
Download photos of Sunday Parkways from Flickr: http://bit.ly/1h4P2pa