The PORTLAND IN THE STREETS PROGRAM goals are to:
- REDUCE BARRIERS FOR COMMUNITY-LED PLACEMAKING PROJECTS;
- ENSURE CITYWIDE ACCESS TO PROGRAMS AND EQUITABLE GEOGRAPHIC DISTRIBUTION OF PLACEMAKING PROJECTS;
- ENCOURAGE PLACEMAKING PROJECTS THAT REFLECT COMMUNITY NEEDS AND CHARACTER; and
- ENCOURAGE EXPERIMENTATION AND INNOVATION.
Each Portland in the Streets program area follows one or more of the following criteria:
- Develop space for community gathering;
- Promote healthy and active lifestyles;
- Build community identity;
- Re-imagines the potential for city streets;
- Activate underutilized spaces;
- Celebrate and interact with neighbors; and
- Generates local business activity.