Parking to facilitate a Residential or Commercial Move
You are not required to get a permit to move within the City of Portland. However, if you need to reserve on-street parking, or place a container in an on-street parking area, you will need a permit.
There are three options to consider for your move:
1. 4 DAY RESIDENTIAL MOVE PERMIT (Non-Metered parking only)
- Non-Metered parking only. Please verify that you are not in a Metered Parking District.
- Valid for up to 4 Days. Can be used for less time if needed.
- No review time. Permit is available after payment..
- Reserves on-street parking for the facilitation of Residential Moves only.
- For Moving Van/Truck or Container
- Allows you to reserve a maximum of 40 feet of parking, for up to 4 days.
- Street must be at least 28 feet wide.
- Permit fee is $54. However, there is an additional $60 fee to have the option of towing vehicles out of your reserved space. Click here for details.
- Once an application is submitted, you will be directed to pay an online invoice. Once the invoice is paid, you will be given a link to a page that contains the PERMIT ID CARD (to place in dash of moving van/truck, or affix to the side of a container) and NO PARKING SIGNS (that you will print (in color) and display yourself).
- Requires 5-7 business days of processing time.
- Reserves on-street parking for the facilitation of a residential move, commercial move, loading/unloading for events, short term construction/utility work, tree trimming, etc.
- Metered or Non-Metered Parking.
- Not a predetermined length of time or amount of parking (can request any amount of parking spaces for up to 26 weeks). Requests for longer periods of time, or for a large number of parking spaces, will be reviewed by parking control.
3. QUICK PERMIT (for containers/drop boxes)
- Permits the placement of a storage container on the street in a parking area with no restrictions.
- Does not reserve any parking.
- Can be used for situations besides moving.
- Up to 14 Days.