BBAC Committee Member Job Description
The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) is a community partner in shaping a livable city. We plan, build, manage and maintain an effective and safe transportation system that provides people and businesses access and mobility. We keep Portland moving. For more information, visit us online at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/
About the Bureau and Budget Advisory Committee
The PBOT BBAC convenes as a Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) for three to four months to guide the bureau’s budget making process. After the budget is submitted the committee continues as a Bureau Advisory Committee. The BBAC is comprised of representatives of key stakeholder groups that include members of the community and labor representatives who work alongside the PBOT Director to develop the annual transportation budget.
Purpose and Role of the Bureau and Budget Advisory Committee
The role of the BBAC is to:
- Review and inform PBOT’s annual transportation budget.
- Monitor the creation of the budget and track overall revenues, expenditure and larger bureau program/project implementation.
- Provide recommendations to PBOT Director on the effective use of resources as it relates to the overall transportation budget.
- Review program priorities, spending and any necessary revisions to capital project lists and financial plans.
- Provide input on the strategy for incorporating equity into PBOT’s work and direction on the inclusion of communities that have been traditionally underserved by PBOT.
- Think critically and strategically about the complete transportation system and provide input that champions the success of both the whole transportation system and the City of Portland and its diverse residents.
The requirements for BBAC membership are:
- You live, play, worship or do business in Portland
- You have an interest in the programs and budget process at PBOT
- You are available to attend all meetings and participate in deliberations and required trainings
- You are a true believer in public participation in government process
- You are an advocate for racial equity and inclusion
- You are passionate about Portland’s transportation system
Membership and Term
Members of the BBAC will be expected to fulfill the following time commitments:
- Meetings: Committee members will be required to attend 2-hour monthly meetings (usually on the third Thursday every month). The BBAC will begin meeting in September of 2018 and continue monthly meetings through June of 2019, with July and August off unless additional meetings are needed. BBAC members will have additional meetings in December and January to deliberate during the budget process. Additional meetings will be scheduled around the groups availability. BBAC members are often invited to volunteer for subcommittee discussions and encourage to attend PBOT events, these additional activities are optional.
- Term: Committee members will serve a two-year term with the opportunity to renew future terms up to eight years total.
- Other: Committee members will be expected to be responsive to staff requests and review materials in advance of meetings. Committee members may also be invited to participate in other PBOT meetings and public events (optional).
Public Official Conduct of Interest Notice
Those selected to serve on this body will be legally considered public officials for the duration of their service. As such, they will be required to publicly disclose potential conflicts of interest. If potential conflicts of interest are not disclosed, individual members are subject to education or monetary sanctions from the Oregon Government Ethics Commission. Having potential conflicts of interest does not preclude you from serving on this body or impact your ability to participate fully on this body. Stakeholders often have potential conflicts of interest just out of the nature of being a stakeholder and having interest in the work PBOT is doing. The Conflict of Interest Disclosure is included in the application packet. Please fill and submit the form along with your application
We will be introducing a new process for selecting committee members following the passage of the Advisory Bodies and Commissions Policy (Resolution 37328). Selections will be confirmed by the October 2018 meeting. BBAC meetings will begin in September 2018. BBAC’s membership is intended to represent a cross-section of diverse expertise, skill sets, background and viewpoints.
Please complete the application form below to express your interest in the BBAC. Please note that information provided is public information, except for the voluntary and confidential section entitled “Confidential Demographic information.”
The following information is required to be considered for the BBAC.
Applications must be submitted by September 24 for consideration through one of the following options:
- Download the form from PBOT’s website
- Email the completed form along with resume to Demetri.FinchBrown@portlandoregon.gov
- Mail to the Portland Bureau of Transportation, 1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204.
Applications are due on September 24. To talk with someone about these opportunities or receive assistance completing the application, please contact Demetri Finch-Brown at Demetri.FinchBrown@portlandoregon.gov or 503-823-5080.