Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Frequently Asked Questions

Unsure who to call with your pedestrian related question? Look for your question here. If you don't find what you need here, contact us by email at or you can contact the Pedestrian Coordinator at (503) 823-6177.

Q. How do I get a sidewalk built on my street?
A. Sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owner. If you wish to construct a sidewalk adjacent to your property, you’ll need to get a permit from the City. Call Street Systems Management in the Office of Transportation at (503) 823-7004 for more information or click here for a sidewalk permit information .

Neighborhood residents may wish to join together to form a Local Improvement District (LID) to build sidewalks. For more information on sidewalk LIDs, contact the LID Administrator at (503) 823-5185.

The City may choose to construct sidewalks on arterial streets where there is significant need. Contact the Pedestrian Coordinator at (503) 823-6177.

Q. How do I report unsafe sidewalk conditions?

A. The Bureau of Maintenance (BOM) inspects sidewalks and sends notices to adjacent property owners when repairs are necessary. Call (503) 823-1711 to report unsafe conditions. Click here for additional information on sidewalk inspection and repair.

Q. What can I do about overgrown vegetation on a sidewalk?
A. Call the Bureau of Development Services (BDS) Nuisance Department at (503) 823-7306. They will notify the adjacent property owner and follow up to ensure the vegetation is pruned or removed.

Q. How do I report a clogged drain causing water or leaves to block my crosswalk?
A. Call the Bureau of Maintenance at (503) 823-1700. They will send out a maintenance worker to clean the drain. For more information about backed up sewers and drains, click here.

Q. How do I request ADA curb ramps in a particular location?
A. The Pedestrian Coordinator takes request for curb ramps through the Curb Ramp Request Program. Read more about the program on our web site and fill out a request form on line. If you have further questions, contact the Pedestrian Coordinator at (503) 823-6177.

Q. How do I report problems with existing pedestrian signals?
A. Call the Signals Division of the Bureau of Transportation System Management at (503) 823-1700.

Q. How do I request a pedestrian sidewalk or signal?
A. City traffic engineers evaluate requests for pedestrian crossings and signals. Call the Traffic Investigations Section of the Bureau of Transportation System Management at (503) 823-5054.