Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Bureau of Transportation

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 1331, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info


PLEASE NOTE:  Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, staff are currently working from home.  Staff are not available by phone at this time, and there may be an increase in processing time.


Applicant Web Page – Information and Process for Franchised Wireless Carriers

In response to the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) recent order ( ) – effective January 2019 – related to the deployment of personal wireless service facilities, the City of Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) has created a new intake and review process for personal wireless service facility applications.

Wireless facilities may be allowed in the Public right-of-way (ROW) subject to the terms of a master lease agreement with the City of Portland and must comply with conditions defined in PBOT Vertical Infrastructure Administrative Rules (TRN 10.44 -

Vertical infrastructure facilities available within the public ROW at this time are either City owned assets such as street light and traffic signal poles or non-City owned (3rd Party) utility poles.

Intake and Review Process - * Interim *

When receiving applications for small cell installations in the public ROW, PBOT ( will evaluate the permits based on conditions set forth in PBOT VI Administrative Rules (TRN 10.44 - 

If the request meets permitting requirements and follows City standards and specifications for installation, PBOT staff may grant a street opening permit to allow the proposed equipment to be placed subject to any improvements required to structurally support or otherwise accommodate the proposed small cell equipment.  Application review timelines may vary depending on the type of personal wireless service equipment proposed and the specific vertical infrastructure facility requested.  City-owned assets that are currently unable to structurally support the additional equipment will be required to pursue a “mini-public works” (Make Ready) process to design and construct an engineered facility that meets the requirements defined in Construction Standards for City-owned Assets.


Placement on City-owned infrastructure (Street Light Poles or Traffic Signals)

Placement on non-City owned Utility poles ("3rd Party" poles)