VISION ZERO THANK YOU CREW
What is it?
Two (2) events to bring the community together to show support for safe driving on our streets. These events are designed to provide community members with an opportunity to change driver behavior by cheering on safe driving – literally!
- September 26, 10 AM to noon - Ventura Park near corner of SE 113th Avenue and Stark Street. BONUS! Participate in the Vision Zero Steptember group walk that will briefly join the Thank You Crew even on its route.
- September 27, 10 AM to noon - 15004 SE Division Street
Participants will assemble at a location along one of Portland’s High Crash Network streets on a set of bleachers for an event lasting 1.5 to 2 hours. A mobile speed reader board will be set up along the road to make drivers aware of their speed. Drivers will see a large crowd of participants holding large signs with positive messaging surrounding safe speeds. The messages will reinforce safe driving behavior and apply social pressure to those driving unsafely.
Media will be invited to the events to amplify the community’s message.
A photo booth will be provided, and photos will be taken of participants for them to take home and to be shared through social media.
Bonus! Participants will be able to take home their sign and use it as a lawn sign to show their support for safer speeds. Lawn sign stakes will be provided to participants at the end of the events.
What is Expected of Participants?
- Sign up in advance to guarantee a sign to take home!
- Hold a sign and cheer for 20-30 minutes.
- Show up and make your voice heard!
After the Events
Photos from the Thank You Crew events will be distributed through social media to reinforce the community’s desire for safer streets. Portlanders will see members of their community advocating for positive change that they themselves can contribute to by simply slowing down.
PBOT will purchase billboards along the High Crash Network to reinforce messaging about slowing down and saving lives.