Speed kills. The faster drivers involved in a crash are going, the higher the likelihood of fatalities and serious injuries. For this reason, we must focus on reducing speeds on Portland streets. We will use policy, education, enforcement, as well as design and engineering to achieve this objective.
- Implement traffic-calming programs targeted along Safe Routes to School, neighborhood greenways, and other shared spaces and walkways.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for how PBOT sets speed limits, designs infrastructure for safer speeds, promotes safer speeds, and enforces speeding on city roads.
- Develop an education and communications strategy so the public better understands the purpose of speed enforcement.
- Expand the use of speed safety cameras for enforcement along the High Crash Network and other key locations.
- Establish an approach to monitor speeds citywide and track our speed reduction work.
Indicators and Sample Measures
a. Percent of residents who report a change in behavior as a result of PBOT campaigns and education
- Driver Behavior
a. Percent of drivers who exceed posted speeds on High Crash Network streets
b. Percent of drivers who reduce speed after changes to street design