Share more information about incentive programs that support residents’ adoption of new modes of transportation. Manage congestion by encouraging alternatives to driving alone whenever possible.
- Expand adoption of existing programs, and develop new ones, that are community-led and provide information and incentives for walking, biking, and taking transit, such as SmartTrips and the Transportation Wallet.
- Develop and implement a Commute Trip Reduction program for Portland employers.
- Complete a multiyear Transportation Demand Management Action Plan which guides the bureau in how to integrate transportation demand management into programs and projects.
- Advocate for demand management through pricing on Oregon Department of Transportation freeways to mitigate existing inequities, improve safety on local roads, and reduce carbon emissions.
- Produce a regional pricing model with key partners that allows us to evaluate different demand management strategies in combination with levels of transit investment.
- Implement an equitable pricing strategy in partnership with the community.
- Implement new permitted parking programs and multimodal strategies that reduce vehicle ownership in growing parts of the city.
Indicators and Sample Measures
- Mode Choice
a. Change in car ownership
b. Changes in travel behavior by demographic
c. Number of vehicles entering the central city
a. Usage rates of parking, both on-street and structures
b. Variability of travel time by mode
a. Change in housing and transportation costs