The PBOT Lunch and Learn Series at the TREC Friday Seminar
The PBOT Bike Lunch and Learn is taking a new form in 2019. [Click here to learn more.]
-Note: new venue / new day-
Friday, March 15, 2019, 11:30 am to 1 pm
Karl Miller Center at PSU, 615 SW Harrison St, Room 465
PedPDX: Addressing Equity through Citywide Pedestrian Planning
Presented by Michelle Marx and Francesca Patricolo, Portland Bureau of Transportation
Pedestrian safety and access is an equity issue. In Portland, inadequate pedestrian infrastructure and traffic safety concerns disproportionately impact low-income communities and people of color. The City is attempting to rectify these inequities through PedPDX, Portland’s new citywide pedestrian plan (anticipated for adoption in Spring 2019). PedPDX prioritizes sidewalk and crossing improvements and other investments, policies, strategies and tools to make walking safer and more comfortable across the city.
Come learn about the strategies PedPDX is using to address transportation equity in Portland, including establishing a data-based prioritization for citywide pedestrian investments, identifying roadway and behavioral characteristics most closely correlated with pedestrian crashes in order to prioritize needs before crashes happen, using pro-active outreach to engage disproportionately impacted residents, and applying innovative pedestrian design and policies to address pedestrian infrastructure needs.
Michelle Marx is the City of Portland’s Pedestrian Coordinator with the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT).
Francesca Patricolo is a Planner in the Policy Innovation and Regional Collaboration section of the City of Portland Bureau of Transportation.
Bring your lunch! And bring a mug for the coffee and conversation!
We are expanding our scope to explore a variety of Active Transportation topics and partnering with the Friday Transportation Seminar hosted by PSU’s Transportation Research and Education Center (TREC).
What’s staying the same?
- Thoughtful and engaging presentations, every other month, highlighting the work of PBOT and our partners around programs, projects and issues for sustainable travel.
- The venue – we will now be in the Karl Miller Center at PSU (615 SW Harrison St, Room 465). Easy to reach by foot, by bike, by Streetcar, bus or MAX!
- The time – presentations will be from 11:30 to 12:30, with additional discussion over coffee and donuts til 1:00 pm (bring your mug!).
- The dates – we’re breaking out of the “Third Thursday” confines. We’ll be moving to Fridays, and we’ll be hosting about every other month.
- More access – join us in person as always, or log-in to watch and participate online. If you miss a session, you can view the video or download the slides from the TREC archive.
We’re excited about the new partnership and look forward to seeing you at the Karl Miller Center - or online!
Sign up here to join the PBOT Lunch and Learn mailing list - only one or two e-mails a month, and we don't share your info.
Become a fan on Facebook of PBOT Lunch and Learn.
The City of Portland ensures meaningful access to city programs, services, and activities to comply with Civil Rights Title VI and ADA Title II laws and reasonably provides: translation, interpretation, modifications, accommodations, alternative formats, auxiliary aids and services. To request these services, contact 503-823-7699, City TTY 503-823-6868, Relay Service: 711.