Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Trees

Call before you cut

phone: (503) 823-TREE (8733)


1900 SW 4th Avenue, Portland, OR 97201

Report a Tree Emergency

What do I do if the tree emergency is in the street, City right-of-way, or in a park?

Call Urban Forestry at 503-823-TREE (8733) to report a street or park tree emergency. Emergency dispatchers are available 24/7.

What is considered a street or park tree emergency?

A tree emergency occurs when any of the following events happen on publicly owned property or City right-of-way:

  • a tree has fallen over
  • a large branch has fallen from a tree and is blocking a street, sidewalk, or public park
  • a tree located in a park or City right-of-way is splitting
  • a large branch is hanging from a tree over a sidewalk, street, or other public property
  • any other immediate hazard situation on public property or City right-of-way

What can I expect when I report a tree emergency?

A dispatcher will send out personnel to respond to the emergency within 24 hours. Priority response is allocated based on the severity of the emergency.

If the tree is located in the City right-of-way, typically the planting strip between the sidewalk and the curb, Urban Forestry staff may clear the street and sidewalk and leave the debris neatly stacked in the planting strip for the adjacent property owner to dispose of.

What do I do if the tree emergency is on my property?

If it is a life-threatening situation call 911 for assistance.

If an emergency exists because the actively failing condition and location of a tree presents such a clear and present danger to structures or the public that there is insufficient time to obtain a tree permit, the hazardous portion of the tree may be removed without first obtaining a required tree permit. Urban Forestry suggests that you contact an arborist to remove the hazardous portion of the tree. You must provide photographic evidence of the danger to structure or public and submit photos with a retroactive removal permit application within 7 days of the removal.

If utilities have been damaged contact your utility provider immediately.

      • Portland General Electric (PGE) 503-228-6322
      • Pacific Power & Light (PPL) 1-888-221-7070

What do I do if a dangerous tree is on my neighbor's property?

Call Urban Forestry at 503-823-TREE (8733) or submit an online reporting form.