Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Trees

Call before you cut

phone: (503) 823-TREE (8733)


1900 SW 4th Avenue, Portland, OR 97201

Financial Assistance for Tree Permit Application Fees

The COVID-19 situation has affected many people's finances. To help, Portland Parks and Recreation Urban Forestry is piloting a financial assistance program. You may be able to get a waiver for certain permit application fees for single-family residence properties.

The financial assistance program is anticipated to run approximately 3 to 6 months, or until available funds have been exhausted. 

How can I qualify for financial assistance?

You will qualify if you are able to provide proof of enrollment in the Portland Water Bureau Bill Discount Program. Also, you must own and live at the property for which you submit an application. To get started:

  1. Apply directly through the Water Bureau by filling out the Online Financial Assistance Application.
  2. Provide the following documents as proof of subject property enrollment with your tree permit application:

•  Portland Water Bureau Bill Discount program award letter, or
•  Recent water bill showing the discount applied

3. Submit your application for an eligible permit type as follows:

• Paper application
       • Include proof of enrollment with the tree permit application and mail to:
                      Urban Forestry 1900 SW 4th Ave. Suite 5000 Portland, OR 97201


• Online application
    • You can apply online at DevHub
    • Skip the online payment step and email proof of enrollment to
    • Please note in your online application your intent to apply for financial assistance. 
     This will help avoid delays due to missing fee payment.

What financial assistance is available?

If you qualify, fee waivers may be available for the following application types:

• Tree removal and replanting
• Replanting waiver
• Root pruning
• Chemical treatment
• Tree pruning application (inspection required)
• Tree permit decision appeal
• Administrative review

What if I am a tree care provider?

Tree care providers should submit the application on behalf of the property owner/client they are working with, and include the work order estimate or bid for the work at the property and property owner proof of eligibility with the tree permit application.

I understand I must be enrolled in the Portland Water Bureau Bill Discounts program to apply for tree permit fee waivers. But I still have questions. What do I do?

We understand!  Please call the Water Bureau Customer Service at 503-823-7770 or email

For tree-related questions please call Urban Forestry at 503-823-TREE (8733), or email