Safety reminder: Water Bureau employees never ask to enter your home without a previous appointment. Employees may knock on your door to ask a few water-related questions or provide information, but they will never ask to enter.
Follow these safety tips if someone knocks on your door and claims to be a local government representative:
- Do not open the door to someone you don't know.
- Ask for proper official identification.
- Look for a city utility vehicle.
- Call the police if you feel suspicious about someone at your door.
- Share information about suspicious people with your neighbors.
- Ask for the person's purpose for being there.
- Do not allow anyone unknown to enter your home without a bona fide prior appointment.
- Water Bureau employees always drive vehicles with a “Publicly Owned” license plate and will carry identification badges.
If someone knocks on your door claiming to be from the Portland Water Bureau, ask to see an identification badge and/or call and check with the Water Bureau at 503-823-4874.
A true employee will encourage, not resist, efforts made by a customer to confirm that they are legitimate.