Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Portland Water Bureau

From forest to faucet, we deliver the best drinking water in the world.


1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 600, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Reporting Forms & Employees Training Materials

Employee Training

As a regulated business you are required to provide annual training to personnel who handle hazardous materials. Many of you already have training programs in place and may only need to amend your program to include information about risks to groundwater. Below is a summary of the requirements.

Training program applies to employees who handle hazardous waste and shall include:

  • Risks to groundwater from the handling/use of hazardous materials
  • The location of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
  • How to read an MSDS
  • Contact information if a spill occurs
  • Review of Annual Hazardous Materials Inventory Report
  • Review of  Facility Information Report
  • Potential risks a spill may pose to groundwater
  • Spill response procedures

The following resources will assist you with training. The Wellhead Protection Program training requirements can be downloaded and modified for your use. Please call Corky Collier at the Columbia Corridor Association at 503-287-8686 or Douglas Wise, Portland Water Bureau at 503-823-7473 if you have questions or need assistance.

Reporting Requirements and Forms

Protection area boundary
Protection area boundary map

If you are a business owner within the protection area boundary you may be required to submit a hazardous materials reporting form. 

Every November, business owners, operators or tenants who use hazardous chemicals and are regulated under this program (by exceeding the threshold amounts of hazardous materials) are required to annually report to the city the amounts of chemicals that they use and store on site. In addition they must provide a site plan, map or drawing of their facility.

Forms are sent each year by Portland, Gresham, and Fairview. Businesses may also download forms below. Forms are provided in PDF format. You must return Section A (Declaration), a site plan, and either the Hazardous Materials Reporting Form or your annual Hazardous Substance Information Survey Report (State Fire Marshal Report). 

Submitting Reports

For Portland:
Douglas Wise
Portland Water Bureau
1120 SW Fifth Ave. #600
Portland, OR 97204

For Gresham and Fairview:
Clay Walker
City of Gresham
Dept. of Environmental Services
1333 NW Eastman Parkway
Gresham, OR  97030

Wellhead Protection Area Reference Manual

The Columbia South Shore Well Field Wellhead Protection Area Reference Manual