Customer Service: 503-823-7770
GENERAL INFORMATION: 503-823-7404
This afternoon, the City of Hillsboro notified the public of recent reports of individuals falsely identifying themselves as utility employees trying to gain entrance into people's homes by claiming they need to do work inside.
The public is reminded of the following safety tips in situations like this:
* Do not open the door to someone you don't know.
* Ask for proper official identification.
* Look for a city utility vehicle.
* Call the police if you feel suspicious about someone at your door.
* Share information about suspicious people with your neighbors.
* Ask for the person's purpose for being there.
* Do not allow anyone unknown to enter your home without a bona fide prior appointment.
Portland Water Bureau employees always drive "E-plate" vehicles with logos and carry identification badges.
A true employee will encourage, not resist, efforts made by a customer to confirm that they are legitimate.