Customer Service: 503-823-7770
GENERAL INFORMATION: 503-823-7404
Portland Water Bureau Security learned today from the Portland Police Bureau that a man identifying himself as a Portland Water Bureau employee asked to see pipes in the basement of a Northeast Portland home. After he left, the resident noticed that several items were missing and contacted the police. The man was wearing an orange vest and driving a white truck.
Read the Portland Police Bureau's official press release: Suspect Claiming to be Water Bureau Employee Burglarizes an Argay Neighborhood Home (Photo)
This report came a day after the City of Hillsboro notified the public of individuals falsely identifying themselves as utility employees trying to gain entrance into people's homes.
The public is reminded of the following safety tips in situations like this:
* Do not open the door to someone you don't know.
* Ask for proper official identification.
* Look for a city utility vehicle.
* Call the police if you feel suspicious about someone at your door.
* Share information about suspicious people with your neighbors.
* Ask for the person's purpose for being there.
* Do not allow anyone unknown to enter your home without a bona fide prior appointment.
Portland Water Bureau employees always drive "E-plate" vehicles with logos and carry identification badges.
A true employee will encourage, not resist, efforts made by a customer to confirm that they are legitimate.