The Red Cross and community partners help the region get ready for a 9.0 Cascadia earthquake by holding Prepare Out Loud presentations in Salem, Tillamook, Manzanita, Corvallis, Medford, Eugene, Portland and Bend.
Portland on Sept. 20: The American Red Cross promoted community preparedness with a series of Prepare Out Loud presentations to help our region be prepared for disasters like a 9.0 Cascadia earthquake.
The presentation was given to employees of the Portland Water Bureau, Bureau of Environmental Services and other City of Portland offices to initiate preparedness in employees who are needed back at work following a disaster to help rebuild a damaged water system and other infrastructure.
The Portland Water Bureau demonstrated its “I ♥ Preparedness” supplies including various types of water storage containers and information about safely storing water for an emergency.
The Red Cross Prepare Out Loud presentation directly addresses the seismic significance of the Cascadia Subduction Zone and what to expect following an earthquake of this magnitude. Prepare Out Loud presenter, Steve Eberlein, was witness to the destruction of the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami in Sri Lanka. The tsunami was caused by an underwater subduction zone earthquake and resulted in the deaths of nearly 300,000 people in 14 countries. His first-hand account of the incident lends perspective to the importance of preparedness. Following the Prepare Out Loud presentation, attendees will understand the steps they can take now to prepare for an earthquake and the central role their actions and voices play in building our community’s resilience.
The Prepare Out Loud presentation covers:
- The science and history of the Cascadia Subduction Zone
- Human behavior during disasters
- What to expect during and after a Cascadia earthquake
- How to prepare to quickly locate your loved ones following a disaster
- How much food, water, and supplies you will need to take care of yourself and others
“Oregonians can be ready for disasters by taking simple steps to prepare now and sharing their preparedness actions,” said Steve Eberlein, preparedness presenter with the Red Cross Cascades Region. “It's time for us to unlock the power of peer influence and bring sustainable cultural change to Oregon.”
Upcoming Prepare Out Loud Events
- Salem on Sept. 22: Presented by NW Natural in partnership with PGE. Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudSalem
- Tillamook and Manzanita on Sept. 30. Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudTillamook
- Corvallis on Oct. 4: in partnership with Samaritan Health Services. Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudCorvallis
- Medford on Oct. 6: in partnership with Asante. Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudMedford
- Eugene on Oct. 11. Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudEugene
- Portland on Oct. 20 in conjunction with the Great Shakeout: Presented by Bill Naito Company in partnership with Leatherman and Parr Lumber. Register at www.RedCross.org/PrepareOutLoudPortland
- Bend on Nov. 7. Register at www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoudBend
Visit www.redcross.org/PrepareOutLoud for more earthquake preparedness resources, including a: