Construction of the Hannah Mason Pump Station in Southwest Portland is in the final stage of construction. The new pump station will replace the aging Fulton Pump Station that was built in 1912. The Hannah Mason Pump Station houses five pumps, public restrooms, park equipment storage and complements the park with a subtle design meant to blend into the surrounding landscape. This project minimized impacts to local residents and business as a result of focused and responsive community outreach.
|Who was Hannah Mason?|
Hannah Mason was a philanthropist, landowner and widow of an early Portland mayor, William S. Mason. At the time of her passing in 1908 she owned the majority of the land on which Willamette Park sits today.
Late last year, the pumps in the pump station were tested and operations and maintenance training for the new facility was completed. Additionally, all restoration work on Southwest Nevada Street, including sidewalks and driveways, was completed except for landscaping which will be completed pending better weather conditions. Several sections of the Greenway Trail within Willamette Park will be improved as part of a larger Park and Recreation project concurrent with the pump station construction including the installation and restoration of curbs throughout the entire park.
The existing Fulton Pump Station will remain in operation for a minimum of two years after the Hannah Mason Pump Station is complete and operational.
For general project information, you can access the project website at www.portlandoregon.gov/water/hannahmason.