Portland Water Bureau Security learned today that a man identifying himself as a Portland Water Bureau employee asked to take a water sample from the home of a Northeast Portland customer. The person was described as a young man wearing blue polo shirt.
The Portland Water Bureau wants you to know that although Water Bureau employees may knock on your door to ask a few water-related questions, they will never ask to enter your home without a previous appointment.
The public is reminded of the following safety tips in situations like this:
- Do not open the door to someone you don't know.
- Ask for proper official identification.
- Look for a city utility vehicle.
- Call the police if you feel suspicious about someone at your door.
- Share information about suspicious people with your neighbors.
- Ask for the person's purpose for being there.
- Do not allow anyone unknown to enter your home without a bona fide prior appointment.
Portland Water Bureau employees always drive "E-plate" vehicles with logos and carry identification badges.
If someone knocks on your door claiming to be from the Portland Water Bureau, ask to see an ID badge and/or call and check with the Water Bureau at 503-823-7770.
A true employee will encourage, not resist, efforts made by a customer to confirm that they are legitimate.