Office of Mayor Ted Wheeler
City of Portland
MAYOR TED WHEELER
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Eileen Park, (503) 823-6541
Community Survey Findings on PPB
DHM research completed a formal community survey on behalf of the City of Portland, Compliance Officer Community Liaison (COCL) and the Portland Committee on Community Engagement Policing (PCCEP).
This was a requirement of the City’s Settlement Agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice.
The study’s sample was based on a random selection of all Portland residential mailing addresses. 6500 households were selected to participate. A total of 1380 valid surveys were returned.
Key findings via DHM Research:
1. Portland residents view the Portland Police Bureau most positively when it comes to activities directly related to fighting crime.
2. Residents rated PPB’s performance lowest on PPB’s response to mental health crises in the community.
3. Of those who had contact with the police, the majority report they were treated fairly.
4. Residents expressed concern that PPB use more force than necessary when dealing with communities of color and those experiencing a mental health crisis.
5. Residents from historically marginalized communities express greater concern about how PPB officers treat them.
6. Residents are unsure whether the PPB is taking steps to improve services.
You can read the entire survey here.
The City of Portland is committed to providing meaningful access. To request translation, interpretation, modifications, accommodations, or other auxiliary aids or services, contact 503-823-1125, Relay: 711.
(503) 823-1125: 口笔译服务| Chiaku me Awewen Kapas | अनुवादन तथा व्याख्या |Устный и письменный перевод | Turjumaad iyo Fasiraad | Traducción e Interpretación | Письмовий і усний переклад | Biên Dịch và Thông Dịch |