Office of Mayor Ted Wheeler
City of Portland
MAYOR TED WHEELER
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Tim Becker, PIO - (503) 823-6784
Mayor Ted Wheeler taking national stage to discuss local action in fight against climate change
Mayor Ted Wheeler is one of five mayors selected from across the country to contribute in a ground-breaking hearing organized by the Senate Democrats’ Special Committee on the Climate Crisis on Wednesday, July 17 at 1 p.m. EST (10 a.m. PST) in Washington D.C.
The Mayor will share Portland’s continuing strategy and efforts to become more resilient to the impacts of climate change and cut carbon pollution. He, as well as the other mayors will also discuss the role the federal government can and should play in helping cities achieve their clean energy goals and fight climate change.
“This hearing is about what cities across the country are doing to fight climate change,” Committee Chairman and U.S. Senator Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) said. “By bringing together our country’s mayors, we can understand how our cities are taking action against climate change and how the federal government can help.”
The duties of the Special Committee—which includes Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley (D)—are to:
- Prioritize oversight and investigation of the efforts of special interests to foster climate denial.
- Convene meetings and conduct outreach with frontline communities impacted by climate change.
- Hold a series of hearings through 2019 and 2020, including expert witnesses and testimonials.
July 17 hearing witnesses*:
• Mayor Ted Wheeler – Portland, OR
• Mayor Kirk Caldwell – Honolulu, HI
• Mayor Melvin Carter – Saint Paul, MN
• Mayor William Peduto – Pittsburgh, PA
• Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms – Atlanta, GA
*Witness list subject to change.
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
1 p.m. ET
The hearing is open to credentialed media and the public. Witness testimony and a live video of the hearing will be available on www.democrats.senate.gov/climate.
The City of Portland is committed to providing meaningful access. To request translation, interpretation, modifications, accommodations, or other auxiliary aids or services, contact 503-823-1125, Relay: 711.
(503) 823-1125: 口笔译服务| Chiaku me Awewen Kapas | अनुवादन तथा व्याख्या |Устный и письменный перевод | Turjumaad iyo Fasiraad | Traducción e Interpretación | Письмовий і усний переклад | Biên Dịch và Thông Dịch |